How to Conquer the Common Cold
Like many other ailments suffered by humanity, the cold is a result of a compromised immune system. Natural treatments work with the immune system to enhance it but do not attempt to suppress the symptoms of a cold by using analgesics and nasal sprays, as Western medicine dictates. And, yes, it is true that using natural treatments might make your symptoms a bit worse for a short time, but your cold will last a shorter time in the end.
Here are a few ideas, thoughts, suggestions, and home-tested remedies for those who feel a cold coming on:
1. Make sure your immune system is in good shape by eating healthy foods, exercising daily, and using meditation to calm yourself to a peaceful state.
2. Once your cold has taken over, eat more lightly so that your body's energy can work toward fighting the illness.
3. Hydrate! Hydrate! Hydrate! Drink water, herbal teas, broth, diluted vegetable juice and vegetable soup.
4. Since sugar lowers the strength of the immune system, stay away from it when you have a cold.
5. The supplements that will help your immune system work harder are beta carotene, zinc, bioflavonoids, vitamin C, garlic, and vitamin A.
One of the best teas for helping you feel better when a cold comes on is ginger tea. Warm ginger tea has an aromatic called gingerol that assists in relieving congestion and reduces inflammation of the mucous membrane and the sinus cavity.
Steam is also a proven way to get rid of a stuffy nose. Treat your cold by breathing the steam from a cup of hot tea, filling a bowl with hot water containing an essential oil and breathing the aroma in, or taking a hot shower. The most potent essential oils for this function are tea tree oil, eucalyptus, and peppermint.
Another classic brew that helps alleviate cold symptoms is a combination of garlic, lemon, and honey in warm water. You can drink this two or three times a day during your illness.
These and other remedies that are easy to concoct in your own home can be among the best methods to lessen the symptoms that come with cold.
Detoxing, also called "body cleansing," is a treatment used to eliminate toxins in the gut. Toxins are present in air, water, food, and the environment. Over-pollution has caused immune systems to weaken, making humans susceptible to a wide variety of chronic illnesses. Detoxing the body helps improve the function of the immune system and, thereby, corrects individuals' health and well-being.
Here is a run down of some of the most popular detoxifying methods used traditionally and currently.
The Candida Cleanse
This body cleanse instructs the subject to avoid all sugars, including fruit and fruit juices, flour and wheat items, yeast, and all natural sweeteners. Also eliminated are alcohol, soy sauce, dried fruit, pickled vegetables, mushrooms, and cheese. The process's benefits increase by taking organic oregano oil and a probiotic.
The Liquid Cleanse
This cleanse is powerful and allows the subject to maintain his or her energy levels as the cleanse is taking place. The simplicity of the cleanse is hard to ignore. Participants are allowed miso soup, organic fruit and vegetable juices, pureed soup, pumpkin seed oil, smoothies, flax, hemp, coconut, and sesame oil.
The Oxygen Colon Cleanse
This cleanse lasts six or seven days and consists of distilled water, organic raw apple cider vinegar, aloe vera, and a probiotic supplement. The idea is to subsist on only these elements for the prescribed number of days.
The Liver Cleanse
Foods that clean the liver include:
• wheat grass
• dandelion greens
• purified water
• apple juice
Drinks to avoid during the cleanse are:
Those who have tried cleanses to remove toxins from their bodies and to reset their immune systems say that, although they were a bit challenging, the feeling they experienced after the cleanse was well worth the effort. The number of cleanses you can undertake, the duration of the cleanses, and the process itself need to be overseen and directed by a professional homeopathic clinician. Women who are pregnant or breastfeeding and individuals with specific bowel disorders need to perform the cleanse under close observation or, depending on your herbalist's input, consider whether a cleanse is right for them.
Natural Remedies to Decrease the Symptoms of the Flu
The symptoms of the flu are easy to recognize. They include:
• respiratory issues
• body ache
• a dry or sore throat
Although the flu can sometimes develop into a serious illness, in most cases patients can be kept comfortable and rested by staying in bed and using natural products to lessen the related pains and other distress.
These are some of the natural remedies that are soothing and powerful:
• As it is with many other sicknesses, hydration is a must when you have the flu. Water assists the natural healing process.
• Raw garlic has been found to help the body heal. It can be minced and added to warm water for a soothing drink. The children will be more likely to consume the same mixture if a parent adds honey to the compound.
• One comforting action is inhaling soothing vapors. Boil a pot of water and removing from the stove. Add thyme, oregano, and rosemary. Let the water absorb the herbs' essences and then have the patient lean over the pot to breathe in the lovely aromatic steam. The treatment intensifies when the caretaker places a towel over the head of the ill individual. This process also loosens congestion and soothes the sinuses and throat.
• Chamomile and peppermint teas are excellent for easing aches and pains related to the flu. Herbal teas are easy to access and make for a quick herbal treatment.
• Not only chicken soup but also bone broth are tried and true remedies and a terrific source of minerals and protein.
• Many have found that a combination of ginger and lemon juice in warm water can make a sore throat and respiratory problems lessen.
It's always a good idea to keep the following herbal remedies on hand for illnesses like the flu:
• dried elderberries
• vitamin C
• detox bathing salts
• nettle leaf
These simple ingredients can make such a difference in the severity and longevity of the flu. Keeping your cupboard stocked with the necessary items will be a habit you will be happy you started.
Natural Remedies for Heartburn
Heartburn is a symptom of acid reflux, a condition that allows some contents of the stomach to rise into the esophagus, which results in a burning feeling in the chest. If this reflux occurs over twice a week, it means you have what is called gastroesophageal reflux disease or GERD. Millions of Americans have this disorder, which can lead to more serious problems if left untreated.
Physicians have a medical bag of tricks and prescription medicines to combat this illness, such as antacids, H2 blockers, and PPIs, but many folks prefer to alleviate these symptoms in more natural ways.
Activated Charcoal Tablets quickly absorb the excess stomach acid that causes heartburn and also absorbs the substances produced from undigested food in the stomach that irritate the GI system.
Many natural medicine practitioners recommend apple cider vinegar. This idea may seem a bit counterintuitive since vinegar is itself acidic, but when acid levels in the stomach are elevated, the food there will not ferment. If you choose an organic apple cider vinegar, you will also have an additional element, prebiotics, found in the vinegar, which are extremely beneficial. Combine 1/4 cup water to 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar and drink. Repeat in five-minute intervals until heartburn is gone.
Another natural remedy is baking soda. A teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate in a glass of water will neutralize the acid in the gut and stop the heartburn caused by the reflux. This dosage can be repeated but not over seven times in 24 hours. Do not use this remedy more than once a week because of its high sodium content.
Aloe is well known as a healing substance for cuts and burns, but it also has the same effect on the esophagus and stomach. Start by drinking 1/2 cup of room-temperature aloe vera juice before a meal; your tummy will thank you for doing so.
Heartburn often increases at night. When lying horizontally, it is easier for stomach acid to travel up the esophagus. Some sufferers elevate the head of their beds to avoid the reflux; others use a wedge to raise their pillows. Avoid lying down within 3 to 4 hours after eating.
Other natural cures are available. If these suggestions are not satisfactory, take time to research the many others that might eliminate your heartburn.
Begin to Heal is the premier online marketplace to book sessions with curated, vetted practitioners in the holistic healing space who consider the whole person - body, mind, spirit, and emotions. Our mission with Begin to Heal is to make it easy for every person in New York to connect with the best practitioners for holistic healing in their quest for optimal health and wellness. BTH will empower you with the ability to find practitioners, provide and read reviews on them and educate yourself on the benefits of holistic healing and each of the practices through rich content and articles on the website. You can do sessions in person or through video calls with practitioners from anywhere in the world making it very convenient to receive healing in the comfort of your home. It is only when we view ourselves from a holistic perspective that we realize that health is really an overall state of beingBegin to Heal is the premier online marketplace to book sessions with curated, vetted practitioners in the holistic healing space who consider the whole person - body, mind, spirit, and emotions. Our mission with Begin to Heal is to make it easy for every person in New York to connect with the best practitioners for holistic healing in their quest for optimal health and wellness. BTH will empower you with the ability to find practitioners, provide and read reviews on them and educate yourself on the benefits of holistic healing and each of the practices through rich content and articles on the website. You can do sessions in person or through video calls with practitioners from anywhere in the world making it very convenient to receive healing in the comfort of your home. It is only when we view ourselves from a holistic perspective that we realize that health is really an overall state of being
Holistic Methods to Minimize Menopausal Symptoms
Nature is full of herbs, roots, and plants used for centuries to lessen the symptoms that accompany menopause. The North American Menopause Society puts the following treatments on their list of go-to remedies:
Black cohosh is an herb that Western and Eastern medical experts agree may work toward lessening the severity of hot flashes.
Red clover seems to cause some women's hot flashes to diminish.
Dong quai, used quite often in Traditional Chinese Medicine, has been successful for women who use the correct traditional Chinese preparation of the root. Some call dong quai the female's ginseng.
Ginseng has been found to ease some symptoms of menopause like mood swings, sleep problems, and a woman's general sense of well-being.
Other suggestions for women who are going through menopause include:
• eating nutritious and clean foods (probiotics, omega-3 fats, high-fiber, fruits, and vegetables)
• finding methods for reducing stress
• exercising to reduce fat and to increase progesterone and estrogen levels
• using natural herbal remedies that act as adaptogens for hormones (ginseng, for example)
• hydrating frequently
• using natural progesterone cream (1/4 teaspoon 2 to 3 times a day)
• using Vitex or chaste berry (natural hormone regulators)
• using St. John's Wort (an herb that lowers anxiety and stabilizes moods)
• using 1000-2000 Mg of Maca Root daily (an adaptogen)
Some essential oils can help as well. Clary sage oil assists the body in balancing hormones, which can lower stress, anxiety, and hot flashes. Roman chamomile oil can do the same. Some homeopathic practitioners advise women to rub three drops of the oil they are about to use on top of their feet and the back of their necks, one to three times a day.
Most importantly, do not be timid about talking to your medical doctor, your holistic team, your friends and your family about your menopausal journey. Any support will make this change a little less irritating. Let others know so you can be open to help and suggestions that just might make a difference.
Healing Anxiety, Depression, and Stress Holistically
Holistic therapy begins with the premise that one's mind and body are not two separate entities.Therapists explain that the mind and body communicate in a latticework of metabolic, chemical, and hormonal relationships. Understanding this observation will lead to the realization that balancing the entire body, mind, and even spirit, is the path to total well-being.
Depression, according to holistic practitioners, is improved when the entire body is treated. If a patient does not want to begin taking one of the current antidepressants, a holistic teacher would suggest a daily regimen of St. John's Wort, lemon balm, or chamomile tea, along with other natural depression treatments, such as:
. improved diet
. restorative sleep
. stress management techniques
. vitamin B12
. the elimination of "allergy-inducing" foods
. herbal therapy
Anxiety, or the feeling of nervousness and unrealistic forebodings, is not depression, but often is experienced along with depression. Many of the treatments used for depression can also improve a patient's anxiety levels, while some are different. Anxiety can be treated with:
. a balanced exercise regimen
. magnesium supplements
. the hypoglycemic diet
. yoga breathing
. keeping a peaceful routine
Unfortunately, stress is a constant state for many, not only in the United States, but globally. Fortunately, holistic practitioners have an abundant number of natural tools to allay the stress faced by individuals day-in and day-out. Healers suggest the following:
. create a schedule
. practice deep breathing
. attain regular massages (one can massage one's own neck, feet, and hands)
. listen to serene, soothing music
. herbal tea
. herbal formulations
Whether you have Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Clinical Depression, or you are experiencing stress from your chaotic environment, holistic therapies can help. Some of the recommendations found in this article should be discussed with your holistic healer before you combine them with any prescription drug you have been given by a Western physician, as they may alter the manner in which the prescribed medicine is metabolized.
But most of the ideas shared here are compatible with drugs used for depression or anxiety. The best plan of action is to find a holistic professional in your area and discuss your treatment, possible drug interactions, and his or her synopsis of the best healing formula for you. Your body, mind, and spirit will thank you.
Fittingly, Lao Tzu, the Father of Taoism, is credited with this quotation:
"If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present."
Holistic therapies offer peace of mind and assist individuals in learning modalities that allow them to live in the moment.
Acne is frustratingly common in the US. Even so, many individuals find it difficult to find information about treating the skin condition. Fortunately, the world of natural healing is full of advice, therapies, and treatments that can begin to assist those who are battling this skin disease.
So often, when acne becomes a serious problem, a person invests in creams, lotions, serums, and cleansers that many times do not work. Now, after decades of research, it has been shown that acupuncture is a great choice for acne patients. Many of the types of acupoint stimulation, including cupping and acupoint injection, among others, have been proven to offer better treatment than drugs and medications.
Homeopathic professionals, who treat the person as a whole, might prescribe the following practices for those with acne:
An Ayurvedic therapist might advise their patients that acne can be caused by contamination of the bloodstream. This can occur due to irregular bowel movement, a build-up of sugar, a build-up of oil, a build-up of starch, and haphazard meal times. Some techniques used to stop facial breakouts include: Ingesting three cloves of garlic a day for one month, ample intake of water, and the addition of fruits and vegetables to the daily diet.
Nutritionists believe that there is a connection between a person's skin health and his or her diet. They are supported by numerous scientific studies. The foods that a person who is suffering from acne should include in one's diet are nuts, avocado, dark berries, and peppermint as well as drinking plenty of water. Nutritional therapy might also include a metabolic detox to eliminate toxins from the liver. Ask a licensed nutritionist for more information on this methodology.
Because acne can often stem from psychological imbalance, Reiki can often be a solution for patients with acne. This scientific no-touch method works by starting biochemical changes that speed-up the body's ability to heal physical imbalances. It can rejuvenate skin and muscles in the face when used in conjunction with other natural healing practices. An experienced Reiki practitioner can assist patients with not only energy healing but additional elements that will complement his or her therapy.
Natural treatments are available for people with acne conditions and are an excellent alternative to the many products that promise relief, but, in the end, fall short of their pledge.
Begin to Heal is the premier online marketplace to book sessions with curated, vetted practitioners in the holistic healing space who consider the whole person - body, mind, spirit, and emotions. Our mission with Begin to Heal is to make it easy for every person in New York to connect with the best practitioners for holistic healing in their quest for optimal health and wellness. BTH will empower you with the ability to find practitioners, provide and read reviews on them and educate yourself on the benefits of holistic healing and each of the practices through rich content and articles on the website. You can do sessions in person or through video calls with practitioners from anywhere in the world making it very convenient to receive healing in the comfort of your home. It is only when we view ourselves from a holistic perspective that we realize that health is really an overall state of beingBegin to Heal is the premier online marketplace to book sessions with curated, vetted practitioners in the holistic healing space who consider the whole person - body, mind, spirit, and emotions. Our mission with Begin to Heal is to make it easy for every person in New York to connect with the best practitioners for holistic healing in their quest for optimal health and wellness. BTH will empower you with the ability to find practitioners, provide and read reviews on them and educate yourself on the benefits of holistic healing and each of the practices through rich content and articles on the website. You can do sessions in person or through video calls with practitioners from anywhere in the world making it very convenient to receive healing in the comfort of your home. It is only when we view ourselves from a holistic perspective that we realize that health is really an overall state of beingBegin to Heal is the premier online marketplace to book sessions with curated, vetted practitioners in the holistic healing space who consider the whole person - body, mind, spirit, and emotions. Our mission with Begin to Heal is to make it easy for every person in New York to connect with the best practitioners for holistic healing in their quest for optimal health and wellness. BTH will empower you with the ability to find practitioners, provide and read reviews on them and educate yourself on the benefits of holistic healing and each of the practices through rich content and articles on the website. You can do sessions in person or through video calls with practitioners from anywhere in the world making it very convenient to receive healing in the comfort of your home. It is only when we view ourselves from a holistic perspective that we realize that health is really an overall state of beingBegin to Heal is the premier online marketplace to book sessions with curated, vetted practitioners in the holistic healing space who consider the whole person - body, mind, spirit, and emotions. Our mission with Begin to Heal is to make it easy for every person in New York to connect with the best practitioners for holistic healing in their quest for optimal health and wellness. BTH will empower you with the ability to find practitioners, provide and read reviews on them and educate yourself on the benefits of holistic healing and each of the practices through rich content and articles on the website. You can do sessions in person or through video calls with practitioners from anywhere in the world making it very convenient to receive healing in the comfort of your home. It is only when we view ourselves from a holistic perspective that we realize that health is really an overall state of being
Alternative Remedies for Candida
The most prevalent yeast infection in humans is Candida albicans. The infection can occur in the intestinal tract, the vagina, and in the mouth. It also affects the skin and other mucous membranes. If a person is not experiencing immune system problems, the infection is easy to combat. However, if the immune system is unhealthy, dangerous problems, such as blood, brain, and heart diseases might result.
When performing ordinarily, candida aids with digestion and the absorption of nutrients. If it grows out of control, an imbalance occurs causing candida overgrowth syndrome or COS. This development is the result of high sugar intake, too many highly refined carbohydrates, and alcohol usage, all of which contribute to the growth of yeast in the body.
Other reasons for contracting candida include:
• overuse of antibiotics
• the combination of birth control pills, a course of antibiotics, and high sugar intake
• corticosteroid inhalants used for asthmatic patients
• chemotherapy and radiation
Alternative therapies have been proven to combat the presence of Candida. Some of those remedies include the use of the following healthy candida fighters:
• kefir and other probiotic foods
• fermented vegetables
• organic vegetable broth
• eliminating grains, sugar, fruits, starches, and alcohol for three to five days
• bentonite clay supplements
• milk thistle, vitamin C, oregano oil, myrrh oil, lavender oil ( to be taken for only 10 days or less)
Once you have taken the steps to get rid of Candida, you will likely experience these metabolic reactions because of the toxins your body is releasing:
• sinus infection
• flu-like symptoms, and more
Type 2 diabetes is a cruel disease. When your body is not able to handle the job of turning the carbohydrates found in food into energy and instead causes sugar to store up in your blood, the resulting conditions are severe. This accumulation of sugar can lead to heart disease, organ and nerve damage, blindness, and other troubling physical conditions. Unfortunately, this disease catches its victims by surprise. One-third of the folks who have type 2 diabetes don't know they are afflicted.
The risk factors for diabetes include:
• being overweight, particularly around the waist
• lack of exercise
• eating excessive amounts of processed meat, red meat, sugar, and high-fat dairy products
• high triglyceride and cholesterol levels
But in many cases, diabetes occurs because of race, ethnicity, genetics, and age. If women experienced gestational diabetes, had a baby who weighed more than 9 pounds, or had polycystic ovary syndrome, they are more apt to develop type 2 diabetes later in their lives.
Blood sugar levels can be controlled by eating healthily and by losing any extra pounds you are carrying. Exercise is a perfect way to lose body fat, protect you from heart problems, and lowering blood pressure. Getting active for a mere 30 minutes on most days in a week will make a real difference.
On the other hand, relaxing, meditating, deep breathing, and visualization can do wonders for your blood pressure and blood sugar levels through centering your spirit.
Nutritionists suggest that concentrating on high protein foods, fiber, low sodium, vegetables, lean meats, whole grains, fish, shrimp, and low-fat dairy is the way to go.
Type 2 diabetes can be prevented in several ways. Remember these essential tips:
1. Stick to an eating regimen that eliminates sugars, high-fats, excessive sodium, carbohydrates, and processed foods.
2. Stay active and adhere to a weekly exercise routine.
3. Add stress-reducing activities to your daily schedule.
4. Often, those who have type 2 diabetes can reverse or lessen the issues involved with this disease.
Treating Gas and Indigestion with Natural Remedies
Gas and indigestion problems are widespread. When you visit the pharmaceutical area of a drug store, you can see an enormous assortment of over-the-counter medicines on the shelves. This stockpile indicates that many Americans suffer from heartburn, bloating, abdominal pain and other digestive issues. In reality, there are alternatives for those who want to stop taking antacids, processed magnesium, and other chemical concoctions found in the drug store.
It is not natural for people to suffer from digestive illnesses. The body is meant to digest and eliminate fuel easily and efficiently. Unfortunately, in Western countries, digestive problems have become part of almost everyone's daily existence. What is the reason for this anomaly?
Some factors that contribute to digestive disorders include:
• A poor diet that consists of too much sugar and carbohydrates, along with the use of artificial sweeteners, caffeine, and alcohol. Most people in developed countries are not getting enough dietary fiber and are consuming larger portions.
• In the US, a lack of exercise, smoking cigarettes, sleep deprivation, and stress takes their tolls.
• Food sensitivities and allergies overtake a person's digestive system.
• Viral infections cause damage to the digestive system and result in diabetes, hiatal hernias, and underactive thyroid glands.
• Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), such as aspirin and ibuprofen, as well as antibiotics kill the good bacteria in the intestines. Synthetic hormones and laxatives may also disturb the digestive system's functioning.
The following changes can make a critical difference to your intestinal health.
1. Instead of over-the-counter drugs, choose herbal medicines for your digestive health.
Start using probiotic bacteria to improve your digestion. Examples of these products include natural yogurt, bromelain, papain, pineapples, and papaya.
2. Find ways to limit and handle stress, such as acupuncture, reflexology, lemon balm, and essential oils like chamomile oil and lavender oil.
3. Decrease the high-fat foods you eat and increase lean meats that are full of proteins. Consume soluble and insoluble fibers.
4. Become more aware of which foods have an adverse effect on your digestive system. To do so, you will need to eat mindfully and work on isolating foods that give you indigestion.
5. Eat superfoods, such as fish that contain omega-3, cabbage, flaxseed, and pumpkins seeds.
6. Consider cleaning your digestive system with a detox; find one that will work best with your schedule, your temperament, and your level of motivation.
7. Remember that exercising on a regular basis will keep digestion going and will also work against constipation.
Solve your digestive problems by considering some of these suggestions. Your GI system will thank you!
Many a person has experienced the dreaded hangover with its pounding headache, nausea, vomiting, and a ravage unquenchable thirst. While friends are having an enjoyable time drinking their wine and talking into all hours of the night, they forget that the morning is going to be difficult to get through.
It's when they awake that they remember that alcohol is a diuretic or a substance that causes increased production of urine in the body. All that water coming out of your body means that you are going to wake up very, very dehydrated. Alcohol also builds-up acids in your bloodstream which accounts for the generalized awful feeling you experience after a night of frivolity.
The darkness of the alcohol, say some, and the sugar levels, are the reason alcohol punches such a big kick. So now a few suggestions about what to do once you find yourself in "hangover world."
Aloe juice can coat the lining of your stomach in such a way as to calm the inflammation and balance the acids that have taken up residence in your blood. Drink your aloe juice with or without a non-acidic fruit drink or coconut water.
Milk thistle can help by cleansing the liver and stimulating the organ to produce more compounds that allow it to metabolize the alcohol. The idea is to take your milk thistle before you go out with the gang. It sells in capsule or tincture form.
Another natural remedy often used for a hangover is peppermint, because it soothes the stomach, lessens nausea, and decreases the inflammation in the intestines. Some drink peppermint tea since it will also assuage your thirst. Others like the peppermint tea cold and mixed with coconut water.
Activated Charcoal Tablets (sold on Amazon, the Vitamin Shoppe, and GNC) help to remove toxins from the body more quickly. A Princeton University guide explains that activated charcoal can "reduce blood alcohol concentrations."
Another tip is to alternate an alcoholic drink with eight ounces of water may decrease the amount you drink and keep you hydrated.
The remarkably helpful part of using natural remedies is that families usually have many of these oils, teas, and tinctures around the house already. If not, start a "medicine box" today For hangovers have these holistic cures in stock:
• aloe juice
• fresh ginger
• raw honey
• kudzu root
• milk thistle
• peppermint oil
• white willow bark
• olive oil
Have fun with your friends and always be safe!
So many in the West are carrying too much weight and are thereby facing the possibilities of not only illness but also premature death. Finding ways to lose those extra pounds and to keep them off is not as easy as it may seem but for those who prefer to do things naturally, several methods are available.
1. Protein is an excellent component when it comes to losing weight, and it has several other additional benefits. A diet high in protein is filling, which means after eating the stomach is satisfied. Over time, when concentrating on proteins in your eating regimen, you will find your appetite begins to decrease, and you may eat approximately 400 fewer calories.
When protein is being digested and metabolized, your body is burning calories. In fact, choosing high-protein foods can boost your metabolism by as much as 80-100 calories each day.
2. Naturally, the types of foods you consume are of utmost importance. Many nutritionists suggest the following superfoods to boost metabolism and speed up weight-loss.They also strengthen bones, guard against chronic illness, improve vision, and sharpen your mind. The list includes:
These foods are all proven to be excellent additions to a healthy lifestyle and
make a wonderful contribution to your weight-loss regimen. Do a bit of research to find much more about superfoods!
3. There are also foods that should be eliminated from your diet if your goal is to reach a healthy weight. Some examples of such foods include:
Sugar - Processed sugar fuels candida, raises blood sugar levels, packs on calories, increases the acidity in your blood and is addictive, and much more.
Fats - Of course, there are healthy and unhealthy fats. The good fats come from:
Unsaturated Fats (polyunsaturated fatty acids and monosaturated fats) - lower cholesterol, lower triglycerides, offer heart-healthy benefits.and are found in salmon, trout, mackerel, catfish, olive oil, nuts, seeds, and more.
The bad fats are in:
• fried foods
• packaged snack food
• baked goods
• margarine, and more
Dairy products that are healthy include:
Greek yogurt - a probiotic
Kefir - a probiotic
Grass-Fed Dairy Cows' Milk - contains vitamin E, omega-3 fatty acids, linoleic acid, which Harvard researchers say "correlates with lowered risk of heart attack
4. The aging process can wreak havoc on weight-loss efforts.Your muscle tissue depletes, your metabolism becomes slower, and weight-gain is a significant possibility. Women over the age of 35 are likely to experience these changes. These effects do not have to happen to you because there are modifications you can make that can help you shed extra pounds and avoid any weight-related problems that can occur.
• Find out what your estimated calorie count should be per day to maintain your weight. Remove 500 calories from that number, and you will lose as much as one pound a week.
• Eat plenty of protein will leave you satisfied after you eat a meal. The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition says 23 to 30 grams per meal.
5. One new eating regimen is the Whole 30 diet which requires eliminating dairy, grain, and sugar. Getting rid of these three inflammatories for 30 days has people raving about their results. The process is easy to follow and inexpensive. Many individuals have lost ten pounds or more over the 30 days.
You will be surprised at how fantastic you feel; how much more focused you are, and the amount of energy you will have when you reach your healthiest weight.
Open sores found in the stomach's lining are known as gastric ulcers and are most commonly caused by the H. pylori bacteria. Ulcers may also appear due to the overuse of painkillers, such as ibuprofen, aspirin, and naproxen. Western physicians remove ulcers through the use of antibiotics and other acid-blocking medications.
But natural medicine also has proven methods for healing stomach ulcers, including:
Flavonoids occur in foods such as soybeans, legumes, red grapes, berries, apples, broccoli, kale, and others. These foods fight the bacteria and guard the lining of the stomach, possibly to assist the ulcers in their healing.
A balanced, healthy diet will also ward off ulcers. A sound eating regimen will center on fruits, whole grains, and vegetables and will also work toward healing any ulcers located in your stomach.
Probiotics provide microorganisms, living bacteria, and yeast that can assist in eliminating H. pylori. Probiotics are in kefir, buttermilk, kimchi, yogurt, and miso, but can be taken in capsule form, as well.
Another tasty food that works against stomach ulcers is honey. It holds over 200 elements that are beneficial, along with polyphenols and other antioxidants. This substance is also an antioxidant that can reduce the growth of H.pylori. This remedy is for those with normal levels of blood sugar.
Cranberry may assist in decreasing urinary tract infections. It does this by keeping bacteria from adhering to the walls of the bladder. This action makes cranberries a good candidate for fighting H. pylori. The berries may take the form of an extract or juice with no added sugar.
Non-sweetened licorice has been tentatively shown to heal ulcers by stopping the growth of H. pylori. It comes in capsule form. These attributes do not apply to licorice candy, however.
As with any medication, be careful to research each supplement due to some contraindications that can occur with natural remedies.
Many do not know that viral infections succumb to many of nature's healing remedies. Having the riches of the organic world at hand is a comforting choice when it comes to personal health.
1. Placing one to two drops of oil of oregano in water, and ingesting it twice daily, will give the body a healthy dose of antiviral and antioxidant benefits.
2. Purple cornflower, or echinacea, has an ingredient called alkyl amides, that reduce inflammation, fevers, and increase white cell production. White blood cells are like soldiers who fend off foreign bacterias and viruses.The polysaccharides in Echinacea increase the volume of natural protein (interferon) and keep the infection from attacking nearby cells.
3. Not only viral infections but digestive maladies, depression, and other chronic diseases remain in control by using prickly ash bark. This antiviral comes in tincture form and a mere 1 to 3 drops three times each day will do the trick. Breastfeeding mothers should not use prickly ash bark.
4. Garlic is another superhero in the natural remedies arena. If straight garlic is not your cup of tea, you can also acquire garlic capsules. If your viral infection takes the form of a skin disease, make a poultice of pressed garlic wrapped in sterilized gauze, but use no longer than two weeks. Do not use if the patient has a fever or a severe ailment.
5. The reishi mushroom reduces the risk of infections and viruses. And beyond that has properties that fight cancer, promote liver regeneration, and have even been shown to have therapeutic effects on neurodegenerative disorders.
Viral infections do not have to debilitate your day-to-day schedule. By using natural elements, you will find you have fewer doctor's appointments, lower medical bills, and fewer chemicals in your system. Holistic healing is full of health benefits about which you will want to continue learning.
Chronic fatigue is a syndrome that affects over 1 million people in the US alone. The CDC has reported that this medical condition causes extreme fatigue, that is not the result of an underlying condition, following physical or mental effort. Medical professionals have not yet discovered the cause of this malady, making it difficult to come up with cures or therapies to allay the symptoms of this condition.
Because this syndrome is so elusive, many patients have turned to alternative models to find relief from their ever-present tiredness. Thanks to studies concerning this illness, increasing an individual's energy levels through holistic methods allows him or her to improve without the use of prescribed medicines.
A sugar that the body uses for assisting in energy production is ribose, or in supplement form, D-ribose. A nutritionist would explain that taking this supplement reduces sleep problems, pain, and foggy brain in those suffering from fibromyalgia and chronic fatigue syndrome. Your nutritionist can offer more suggestions of supplements and herbs used to increase energy sources.
Another remedy for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is practicing guided meditations designed to help with CFS. A guided meditation therapist can assist a patient with a schedule for his or her meditation times and can coordinate other calming experiences such as walking and gardening into the meditation timeline. A therapist can also act as a coach and a motivator for one who is new to meditation and needs help with motivation and persistence.
Insomnia goes hand-in-hand with CFS, causing fatigue to increase due to the loss of sleep time which is necessary to heal the body's muscles and replenish energy. Some natural techniques that assist in getting a good night's sleep include:
Adrenal fatigue is a result of the adrenal gland's inability to produce cortisol in the correct amounts when a body becomes stressed. Thankfully, there are natural methods to heal this type of fatigue, as well. The number of ailments that center around how stress affects a person's health are increasing. Lowering of hormonal levels, adrenal fatigue, and burnout are all conditions related to the way stress affects your health. Your personal nutritionist can develop a plan based on the Adrenal Fatigue Diet and can guide you through the program step by step.
Your holistic therapist, life coach, or homeopathic practitioner can add to the foods, activities, and changes available to you in your daily regimen and can offer you more guidelines on ways to overcome fatigue in all its iterations. You do not have to walk through this sickness alone. There are many holistic professionals who have been educated and trained to assist you all along the way. It only takes the determination to change those activities, foods, and habits you have that are making you sick and the will to take on a lifestyle that will make you the whole, balanced person you were born to be.
A person's blood pressure is the most important things that the body must sustain. To live, humans depend on the circulation of the blood to supply the nutrients and oxygen that keep them alive. It is the circulatory system that also removes waste and carbon dioxide from the body. The beating of the heart creates pressure that pushes the blood through the body's arteries and veins.
When that pressure rises or lowers, difficulties begin to occur. Hypertension makes it necessary for the heart to pump faster, which can eventually stretch the walls of the arteries. This problem, in turn, creates scarring in the blood vessels that can lead to high cholesterol, blood clots, and, in time, heart attacks or strokes.
The prescription drug market is filled with medications to reduce high blood pressure and its results, but those in the field of alternative medicine have some suggestions that can also remedy the effects of hypertension.
1. What doctors, friends, and family tell you about salt intake is true. Cut back on salt (sodium). Overuse of sodium disturbs the fluid in your body that travels into surrounding tissues to flush the sodium out of your body. This build-up of fluid makes your heart pump faster.
2. Hibiscus is a diuretic which means it draws sodium out of the bloodstream. You can find directions for making a hibiscus tea online.
3. Coconut water is not only tasty but in its raw form contains potassium and magnesium. These two nutrients affect regular muscle function, and, after all, the heart is a large and very significant muscle.
4. Luckily, for all those who love watermelon, this fruit is filled with an a-amino acid (citrulline). Once ingested, it changes into the amino acid L-arginine which makes nitric oxide. This element can regulate how hard your blood pumps through your body (systemic vascular resistance), hence, reducing your blood pressure. It also can widen blood vessels for smooth circulation.
5. Blueberries have plenty of the flavonoid quercetin, which also widens blood vessels and reduces hypertension. Try making some blueberry syrup from water, honey, and dried blueberries. Yum!
With a bit of research, you can find even more natural ways to improve your blood pressure. One of the best is exercise, so get some fresh air on foot today!
People who work outside in the fields of construction, farming, or similar occupations, are very aware of the possibility of becoming dehydrated on the job. But even these folks forget, from time to time, to hydrate and become notably ill. Others can think they are immune to the problem completely. But, no matter the job or the circumstance, everyone needs to understand that the body needs fluids, primarily clean, potable water, of the correct amount, each day, particularly when the weather is warm.
According to the Cleveland Clinic, water keeps the body from overheating through the sweat that occurs when exercising. As the sweat evaporates, it causes the tissue beneath the skin to cool. But sweating also reduces the body's water level, which can alter normal physical functions. For example, when a person becomes dehydrated the following signs can occur:
• dry coughing
• appetite loss
• darkened urine
• flushed skin
• heat sensitivity
The truth is that waiting to hydrate until you become thirsty means you are already dehydrated. So most health care experts say that people who are active need a minimum of 16 to 20 ounces of liquid an hour or two before an exercise activity. If you are involved in an outdoor activity, you should drink 6 to 12 ounces of fluid every 10 to 15 minutes when you are outside. Upon completion of the activity, drink 2 or 3 cups of fluid.
But not all liquids hydrate. These drinks include:
• caffeinated beverages
• fruit juices or drinks
Coffee, tea, and colas are likely to cause the body to eliminate water, and fruit juices and drinks contain high amounts of carbohydrates and too little sodium, causing upset stomachs. If drinking fruit juices, dilute them with 50% water.
Electrolytes are liquids or gels that contain sodium, potassium, calcium, bicarbonate, magnesium, chloride and hydrogen phosphate. They are vital for maintaining healthy function in the body. Liquids that get to work on your dehydration quickly include:
• sports drinks- are electrolyte-rich
• coconut water - sodium, magnesium, and electrolytes
• organic low-fat or fat-free milk - contains sodium, potassium, and magnesium, along with calcium and phosphorus
Non-water drinkers need to keep a pitcher of filtered water in the refrigerator. Add lemons, cucumber, or limes to make it look beautiful and taste better. And stay hydrated. It's important!
What can be worse than loose stools accompanied by stomach spasms, uncomfortable and irritated rectal areas, and dehydration? Physicians say that occasional diarrhea is the body's way of fast elimination of some infective organisms. Over-the-counter medicines can suppress the loose, watery stools, but will also allow the parasites or bacteria that are causing the trouble to remain in place.
According to the World Health Organization, diarrhea in children is currently the largest health problem globally. In developed countries, the number of people who have chronic diarrhea is significantly smaller. Homeopathic medicines can allow individuals to shorten the time they are affected.
The remedies that have shown a high rate of success include:
• Mayapple (Podophyllum) - This is the most favorable treatment for diarrhea that is acute.
• Arsenic (Arsenicum album) - This element works for cases caused by food poisoning or viral diseases.
• China or Peruvian Bark (Cinchona officinalis) - This remedy works to stop diarrhea that is accompanied by general weakness, bloating, and indigestion.
• Chamomile (Chamomilla) - This medicine is especially helpful for infants who are expressing a high level of irritability.
• Carbonate of Lime (Calcarea carbonica) - Carbonate of Lime is used most often for babies who are carrying excessive baby fat, are pale, lethargic, emit a sour body odor, and display excessive head sweating.
• Socotrine Aloes (Aloe socotrina) - For those who experience accidental flatulence, socotrine aloes can prove effective.
• White Hellebore (Veratrum album) - For individuals who have painful diarrhea that evacuates forcefully and results in extreme weakness, this is a remedy to consider.
The patient takes the prescribed dosage after every elimination. As the person's diarrhea improves, doses will lessen. Once the patient's stools are normal, the treatments desist. If the medication does not stop the problem after 24 hours, another remedy is needed.
To avoid dehydration, patients need water, Pedialyte, or sports drinks. Doctors do not recommend carbonated, caffeinated, alcoholic, or dairy fluids for hydrating for diarrhea.
The most common reasons for hair loss and thinning hair are:
• scalp infection
• poor dietary habits
• some ingested medications
There are other causes for thinning hair which include hormonal imbalances, protein deficiency, and more. The following are a few natural products and procedures that have a proven track record of nourishing the scalp and keeping hair healthy.
1. Amla fruit, or Indian Gooseberry, is filled with vitamin C, antioxidants, and antimicrobial agents. It is also high in fatty acids that strengthen and moisturize the hair. The dried amla is used to make a powder that, when applied to the hair, decreases hair loss. Hair oils, also made from the amla plant, help enrich an individual's hair.
2. Reetha fruit is used to make soap that is anti-inflammatory and antimicrobial that can cure many scalp maladies.
3. Shikakai, a shrub from warm regions in Asia, has been around for thousands of years for cleansing hair and preventing hair loss.
4. Fenugreek, used throughout history for seasoning food, is also a natural remedy. When applied to the scalp, this plant can increase circulation and stimulate hair follicles.
5. Egg whites, full of selenium, protein, zinc, sulfur, and iron have everything needed to produce hair. When you mix one egg white with one teaspoon of olive oil, you create an excellent scalp nourishment application. The mixture also increases blood flow and oxygen to the scalp's hair follicles.
6. Flaxseed is full of fatty acids and antioxidants that will moisturize the scalp, stop dandruff, stimulate the growth of hair, and strengthen existing hair. You can find a recipe for making flax seed gel online.
7. A broad variety of oils, herbs, and plants contain nutrients that can prevent and stop hair loss. These oils include:
• ginger root oil
• hibiscus flower
• lavender oil
• rosemary oil
• yarrow (herb)
• burdock root
• Gotu kola (Brahmi) - an ancient root
• peppermint oil
These and more tips on the use of natural remedies are online. For those who are suffering from hair loss, there are bound to be several homeopathic formulas that will help you thicken and condition your hair.
LDL is the harmful cholesterol that builds up in the arteries and has no known function. This plaque can block the flow of blood through the body. Holistic therapists have found methods that are successfully lowering bad cholesterol levels without using prescription drugs. Here some helpful options that can lower LDL levels:
Two suggestions used to increase levels of HDL (or good cholesterol) are the addition of liquid yellow egg yolks to the diet and avoiding egg whites.Some other practitioners suggest the daily consumption of apple cider vinegar, red yeast rice, and coconut oil. Amounts and dosage instructions should be monitored by your holistic therapist.
Herbs found to be useful in treating high LDL levels include:
Foods and activities that need to be avoided when attempting to decrease or fight against developing high cholesterol levels are fried foods, foods high in fat, and smoking. Recommended additions to the diet are soy, soy products, vegetables, and fruits.
One holistic treatment used for lowering high cholesterol is a prescription of herbs with properties that cut through plaque buildup. Yoga is also used to enhance circulation, which in turn assists in the removal of cholesterol blockage in the arteries. The most recommended types of yoga for this condition are Padmasana, Shalabhasana, Vajrasana, and Ardhamatsyendrasana.
Cold hip baths two times a day have been shown to lower cholesterol when regularly included in a person's daily regimen. And eating walnuts and almonds on a daily basis is beneficial, as well.
Always consult your holistic professional when embarking on a new treatment regimen. Your practitioner is your personal guide to the healing benefits of holistic medicine.
If it is your wish to avoid sleeping medicines and want to get better sleep through holistic means, you will find these tips a welcome relief. Becoming reliant on a drug to sleep is not something most people are looking to do. But our world is so full of constant technology and other stimuli that cause many individuals to have trouble getting to sleep, staying asleep, and getting enough hours of rest to get them through the next day.
Rest depends on ingesting tryptophan, an amino acid from a source outside the body. Tryptophan converts to 5-HTP which, in turn, converts to serotonin. Finally, serotonin changes to melatonin, the engine for the body's biological clock. This clock tells a person when to sleep and when to wake up. Darkness causes melatonin to increase.
1. Based on these facts, a 1/2 to 1 cup of tart cherry juice can assist you in gently falling to sleep since it is a choice source of tryptophan.
2. A hardy plant root known as valerian has been used to aid sleep throughout history. Making a tea from this source and drinking it will increase the gamma aminobutyric acid (GABA) levels in your body and regulate nerve cell activity resulting in a calming effect.
3. Another successful natural therapy for sleep conditions is acupuncture. Traditional Chinese Medicine uses acupuncture to correct energy balance and open channels (meridians). Once the channels are clear, the brain understands more readily that it is time to sleep.
4. A soothing, warm bath, with Epsom salts included, will signal your body that the time for sleep is near. Add to that a cup of chamomile, valerian, or lavender tea with a touch of honey. This combination will not only provide for delightful aroma therapy but will include a mild natural sedative that will gently lull you to sleep.
Additional sleep-inducing actions are:
• warm baths
• going to bed at the same time every day
• hot tea before bedtime
There is no reason to struggle with sleep. Try a natural remedy and get the restorative powers that come with a lovely night's rest.
A urinary tract infection (UTI) is an infection anywhere along the urinary tract. They can be caused by sexual intercourse, poor hygiene, a lowered immune system, antibiotics, and from using spermicides and other issues. But in 90% of cases, the culprit is the E.coli bacteria that has transferred between the intestinal tract and the urinary tract.
But, of course, natural treatments are available that are drug-free and relatively inexpensive.
More natural healing elements include:
• horseradish tea
• 1 1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar with lemon juice "tea"
• cranberry juice
• parsley water
• urinate when you feel the urge
Be sure you have all the ingredients needed if you have the bad luck of experiencing a UTI. Having everything ready will help you keep the infection short-lived.