We all have chakras or energy centers in our body. In Sanskrit, Chakra means a wheel or disk. Chakras are “wheels” or vortexes of swirling energy throughout our body. We have seven main Chakras: Root, Sacral, Solar Plexus, Heart, Throat, Third Eye and Crown.
1) The Root Chakra is responsible for our feelings of safety and being grounded; our survival. It is located in the base of the spine and is represented by the color red. It is the root of your being (and body) and connects you with your body, environment and your journey on Earth. An open, free-flowing Root Chakra provides a feeling of safety, worthiness and stability. A strong Root Chakra helps us feel balanced and grounded in all aspects of life. On the other hand, a blocked or closed Root Chakra can set us up for a lack of focus, restlessness, feelings of fear or abandonment and disconnection from our physical world.
Essential oils that clear and balance the Root Chakra:
Crystals that clear and balance the Root Chakra:
Root Chakra Affirmation: I am safe. I am loved. I am supported by the power of the Earth. I trust in my Life journey and I belong here. I love my body; my perfect vehicle for experiencing this Earthly existence.
Your Root Chakra can be balanced by:
• Using the color red. Crystals, lights, clothing. Envision the color red glowing brightly and transparently at the base of the spine.
• Getting your move on. Exercise, yoga, dancing, walking. Move your body.
Spending time in nature – Ground yourself into the Earth by absorbing its energy and spending time outside.
• Taking a shower, bath or swim. Soak yourself in the calming, welcoming water.
2) The Sacral Chakra is located in the lower abdomen, between the pubic bone and the navel, and is represented by the color orange. Its element is water. Associated with emotions and reproductive function, the Sacral Chakra is pleasure seeking. A blockage in the Sacral Chakra can lead to both physical and emotional distress such as overreactions, attachments, tension, cramping, fear of happiness or pleasure, and a lack of authenticity or creative expression. An open Sacral Chakra leads to abundant creativity and creation, passion, sensuality and connectedness.
Essential Oils to Clear and Balance the Sacral Chakra:
Crystals to Clear and Balance the Sacral Chakra:
Sacral Chakra Affirmation: I love, appreciate and honour my body. I am open to experiencing the present moment through all of my senses, passionately and abundantly. I nourish, value and respect my body. I am open to touch and intimacy. I allow myself to feel pleasure. My body is sacred. My sexuality is sacred. I honour my emotions as they are the whisper of my soul. I take good care of myself – my body, mind, spirit – and I am at peace and sitting in love.
Simple Tips for Balancing Your Sacral Chakra:
• Use the color orange. Crystals, lights, clothing, furniture or accessories. Envision the color orange glowing brightly and transparently in your lower abdomen.
• Dance the night away. Dancing opens the Sacral Chakra. Moving your body helps to get your energy flowing. Move your hips, enjoy the music and your body. You can also practice Yoga positions that open the hips or use the lower abdomen.
• Cut the Chord. Let go of people, places and things that are no longer serving you and your overall health and wellbeing. Remove attachments, release old junk and make space for beautiful things to fill you up.
• Find Water. Relax near water such as a lake, beach, river or stream. Stick your toes in to help the energy flow! Baths and showers also help provide relaxation and an opening of the Chakras.
3) The Solar Plexus Chakra is located between the belly button and solar plexus in the abdomen (below the breastbone) and is represented by the color yellow and the element of fire. This Chakra is all about willpower, confidence, discipline and is the core of our ego and our identity. An open, balanced Solar Plexus Chakra allows you to move forward in your life in a powerful, balanced way. A blocked Chakra may lead to reactivity, inactivity or passiveness and insecurity, but a clear and open Solar Plexus Chakra is proactive in nature. The Solar Plexus Chakra is all about our confidence and power to choose our actions in life and move forward continually in a positive manner.
Essential Oils to Clear and Balance the Solar Plexus Chakra:
Crystals to Restore the Solar Plexus Chakra:
Solar Plexus Chakra Affirmation: I can. I am powerful, successful and confident in all that I choose to do. I am worthy. I honour myself, treat myself with love and kindness and value myself. I know what is best for me, and I can act in my best interests. I accept and own my choices and life. I am free to choose as I wish. I am whole. I choose light, love and goodness. I choose health, happiness, healing and joy. I love myself and all that I am (and am not).
Simple Tips for Balancing Your Solar Plexus Chakra:
• Use the color yellow. Crystals, lights, clothing, furniture or accessories. Envision the color yellow glowing brightly and transparently in your abdomen.
• Eat yellow foods. Enjoy yellow colored foods such as yellow peppers, bananas, and spices like ginger or turmeric. Granola, grains and sunflower seeds are also beneficial.
• Hit play and repeat. Use your affirmations! And repeat them often.
• Seek sun-and-fire. Find ways to be near the sun or a fire. Sit out under the sun, bask in the warm rays, or enjoy a nighttime campfire.
4) The Heart Chakra is located in the centre of the chest at the heart level, between the shoulder blades. This Chakra is our centre for unconditional love, compassion, forgiveness and is the Seat of the Soul. It is also responsible for our ties and connections to others. When this Chakra is open and free-flowing, you emit great love for others and practice self-love. This is the place where we feel our deepest connections to self, our true essence, and people, animals and nature. When there is an imbalance in the Heart Chakra, we may experience difficult relationships, become codependent, not accepting of ourselves or life situation(s), lack self-disciple and feel intolerant. The Heart Chakra is represented by the color green and the element of Air, and is also called “Anahata,” which means “unstruck” in Sanskrit.
Essential Oils to Clear and Balance the Heart Chakra:
Crystals to Clear and Balance the Heart Chakra:
Heart Chakra Affirmation: I am open to love. Love resides in my heart and I deeply love and accept myself. I am wanted, loved and I care for my Inner Child. I am graceful and grateful. I love the world around me. I forgive myself and others. I am open to receive love and kindness. I am grateful for the challenges that have helped me to transform and open up to unconditional love. I am connected to all other beings and feel a sense of unity with my fellow humans, animals and nature. I accept life as it is. I am peaceful. I am love.
Tips for Balancing Your Heart Chakra:
• Use the color green. Crystals, lights, clothing, furniture or accessories. Envision the color green filling up your heart centre. Inhale, fill up with a soft green light, and as you exhale, feel yourself gently releasing negativity.
• Give. Receive. Repeat . Give unconditional love to yourself and others. Open to receiving unconditional love…from yourself and others. Practice sharing love, letting it flow freely and abundantly. Practice forgiveness.
• An attitude of gratitude. Be grateful for what you have, or don’t have, and for the life that is at your fingertips. Use your affirmations to stay grounded and centred in your heart and resist the urge to complain or find fault in life.
• Get outside. Sitting outside, feeling the beautiful breeze, and enjoying the green landscape (trees, grass, etc.) is a great way to become balanced. Take a walk, lay in the grass, hike in the woods. The choice is yours. But get out there into the fresh air and bask in nature’s beauty and healing energy.
5) The fifth Chakra, the Throat Chakra, is commonly known as the “voice of the body.” It is located in the centre of the throat and neck and is the place energy from the other chakras is expressed. The Throat Chakra is responsible for communication, self-expression, creativity and judgment. It is represented by the color blue. A healthy Throat Chakra invites active communication, expression, good listening, patience, honesty, authenticity and receptivity. An imbalance in this Chakra can lead to poor communication skills, doubtfulness, fear around expressing yourself or your feelings, verbal outbursts or impatience, manipulation, lies, arrogance, critical behavior, shyness or talking excessively, and the inability to be a good listener. This energy centre allows you to express your Truth, but also allows you to listen and hear another.
Essential Oils to clear and balance the Throat Chakra:
Crystals to clear and balance the Throat Chakra:
Aqua Aura Quartz
Throat Chakra Affirmation: I am open, honest and clear in my communication. I have a right and am strong enough to express myself, to speak my truth clearly and freely. I communicate my feelings, thoughts and beliefs with ease. I express and nourish myself creatively. I lead an authentic life of integrity and share my experiences, knowledge and Truth freely and willingly. I am a good listener. I also know how to listen to the whispers of my body and feelings to understand my Truth. I am grateful for life and am at peace. I take good care of my physical body, my emotional needs and my spirituality. I am an expression of Love.
Simple tips for balancing your Throat Chakra:
• Use the color blue. Crystals, lights, clothing, furniture or accessories. Envision the color blue filling up in the centre of your neck and throat. Inhale, fill up with a soft blue light, and as you exhale, feel yourself gently becoming comfortable expressing all that you are.
• Open Up. Open your mouth! Sing, hum, talk, use your mouth in as many ways as possible.
• Speak Up. Start small, even tiny if you have to. But find ways to begin to express yourself and feel safe doing so. Express your Truth(s). Let the baby steps snowball, building momentum, and aligning you with your authenticity.
• Journal. Journaling is a great way to express your inner Truth and find out how you are feeling. You can sift through your thoughts until you get to the core of your feelings and beliefs. This is particularly helpful for acknowledging then releasing junk that is no longer serving you.
• Blue Skies Ahead. Experience a sunny, clear, blue sky. Breathe deeply, meditate, or sit quietly in nature gazing up at the sky.
6) The Third Eye Chakra, also known as the inner eye – located on the forehead between the brows. This Chakra is all about “seeing” and is the centre of intuition, common sense, wisdom, memory and spirituality. The color associated with this Chakra is indigo. Its element is light. A balanced, healthy Third Eye Chakra can help you to think clearly, develop your imagination and intuition, and hold a vision of the bigger picture of life. It leads to an expanded awareness of consciousness, spirituality and evolution. An imbalanced Third Eye Chakra can leave one feeling stuck, rejecting spirituality and with a lack of clarity.
Essential Oils to Clear and Balance the Third Eye Chakra:
Crystals to Clear and Balance the Third Eye Chakra:
Third Eye Chakra Affirmation: My mind is clear, flexible and able. I can envision beauty and create goodness. My imagination is powerful, vivid and active. I am open to the wisdom within me, and to greater spiritual awareness. I trust my intuition and knowing. My knowledge serves others and brings me to new levels of understanding my True Nature. I see clearly in all ways. I am full of God’s grace, light and love. I have an unlimited vision for myself and life. Everything that happens in life is an opportunity to illuminate and learn and grow. I am my Source of love and life and truth. I connect to the Source energy. I know that all is well.
Simple Tips for Balancing Your Third Eye Chakra:
• Use the color Indigo. Crystals, lights, clothing, furniture or accessories. Envision the color indigo in your forehead, just above your brows. Inhale, fill up with a soft indigo, transparent and bright light, and as you exhale, feel yourself opening to the wisdom of All There Is.
• Fuel up. Eat foods that nourish the brain and help us to feel relaxed. Eat intuitively; your body knows what it needs.
• Light it up. With the element of light, this Chakra heals by sitting out in the sunshine. Soak up those rays and those beautiful blue skies.
• Accept where you’re at. Forget the competition, what is missing, or what seems a struggle in your life. Find a way to ease into knowing that all is well. Try to open to the possibilities or opportunities that lay before you. Learn and grow from what you face in a moment.
• Move your body. Participate in Yoga, Tai Chi, and Walking, as well as Meditation, and Chanting. Any activity that feels right for you will allow you to drop into your body.
• Trust. The best way to sharpen your intuition is to trust in the guidance you receive and the way your body speaks to you. The more you do it, the more you practice, the easier it will become to hear the wisdom speaking to you.
7) The Crown Chakra is the seventh Chakra and connects us with the Universe and Source of All-There-Is. The Crown Chakra is located at the crown – the centre of the very top – of the head. The Crown Chakra is the meeting place of the finite and infinite, your body and ego meet your Soul. Its color is violet or white and its element is thought. The Crown Chakra is the centre of awareness and understanding, connectivity, joy and peace. A balanced, clear Crown Chakra brings a feeling of balance, spirituality, purpose, connection with others and a higher power and wisdom. Signs of imbalance include a lack of spirituality, fear of death, lack of purpose, loneliness, feeling unloved or angry. The Crown Chakra asks us to go beyond our ego into the limitless depths of All-There-Is and to know that we are connected and united with a divine Creator.
Essential Oils to Clear the Crown Chakra:
Crystals to Balance the Crown Chakra:
Crown Chakra Affirmation: I am part of the Divine, and I honour the divine within me and others. I honour my Spirit and welcome experiences that nourish and fuel my Soul and its journey. I welcome lessons so I may better understand and learn to trust the wisdom of the Universe. I trust myself, my intuition and my connection to All-There-Is. I am open to living in the present moment, letting go of that which no longer serves me, and am grateful for all the blessings in my life experience. I love and accept myself, and I am open to receiving goodness in my life and overall well-being. All is well in my world. All is well in the World. I am connected, I am wise, I am open, and I am full of Grace. I am at peace. All is well.
Simple Tips for Balancing Your Crown Chakra:
• Use the Color Violet or White. Crystals, lights, clothing, furniture or accessories. Envision the color violet or a bright white coming from the top of your head. Inhale, fill up with a bright white and violet light, and as you exhale, feel yourself opening to the connection of All-There-Is.
• Meditate or Pray. Nourish your connection with Self and All-There-Is by meditating, praying or finding quiet time to honour all that is and bring yourself back into alignment with yourself and Source.
• Let it Go. Release old attachments and ego beliefs, patterns or stories that no longer serve you. Learn to accept yourself and love yourself and let the ego slip away into the background.
• Give it Away. Share your gifts with others and spread Kindness like confetti.
• Choose Love. Ask yourself, “what would love do?” Respond to life and yourself in loving ways, gentler ways and kinder ways. React slowly, take some time to choose the best response to life for the highest good of all.
• Set Intentions. Set an intention each day, or throughout the day, to keep you aligned and present and mindful. Let your intuition guide you. Trust in the Universe and your own guidance system. It will not steer you astray.